pygtk - icons?

Helmut Jarausch jarausch at igpm.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Nov 18 04:42:03 EST 2009

Hi,

please bear in mind that I'm an absolute newcomer to (py)gtk.
I'm trying to install the nice synchronization tool
http://live.gnome.org/Conduit

which is written in Python and use pyGTK.

This installed several icons e.g.
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/conduit.png

When run, Conduit fails to find its icons.

For testing purposes I've tried

import gtk
info=gtk.icon_theme_get_default().lookup_icon("conduit",16,0)

which produces the error message
  GtkWarning: Could not find the icon 'conduit'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
         http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

On my Gentoo system lots of packages have placed icons under
/usr/share/icons/hicolor

So, what am I missing.

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.