Python Will Not Send Email!!

Carsten Haese carsten.haese at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 10:14:01 EST 2009

Victor Subervi wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Kev Dwyer <kevin.p.dwyer at gmail.com
> <mailto:kevin.p.dwyer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, 19 Nov 2009 11:28:37 -0400, Victor Subervi wrote:
>
>     Hello Victor,
>
>     There are some pages on the internet that suggest that this problem
>     my be
>     caused by a module named email.py (or email.pyc) in your pythonpath.  If
>     you try import smtplib in the interpreter do you get this error message?
>     If so, start a new interpreter session and try import email - is the
>     email module imported from the stdlib?
>

> Both of these import just fine.

Kevin neglected to mention that the new interpreter session must be
started in the same directory as the one you're in when you run your
testMail.py script. Since he didn't mention that, we can't be sure that
that's what you did, so this experiment doesn't prove anything.

Please show us a copy-and-paste of your command line window contents
that result from executing <<python testMail.py>> and then executing
<<python -c "import email; print email">> immediately thereafter.

--
Carsten Haese
http://informixdb.sourceforge.net