Split class across multiple files

eric.frederich eric.frederich at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 13:28:41 EST 2009

Yeah... it does seem like a God Object.
My reasoning for putting them all into one big class is that the class
has references to all the required resources, connections, and
services.
The other option would be to have a simple object called Session which
did nothing but login and hold those references.
The problem then is that I'd have 50 methods all of which would need
to take that session object as an argument.
That is what I was trying to avoid, having a ton of methods all taking
the same first parameter.
In most cases there would only be one session.

Perhaps I could do a singleton approach and have each of these methods
implicitly use the single session object unless called with a session=
keyword argument.

How does this look?.....

# Begin Session.py

class Session():

    def __init__(self, host=None, username=None, password=None):
        if host and username and password:
            self.login(host, username, password)

    def login(self, host, username, password):
        self.host     = host
        self.username = username
        self.password = password

        self.connection     = Something.login(host, username,
password)
        self.someService    = SomeService.getService(connection)
        self.anotherService = AnotherService.getService(connection)

    def logout(self):
        return self.connection.logout()

defaultSession = Session()

# Begin MyLibrary.py

from session import defaultSession

def doSomethig(x, y, z, session=defaultSession):

    return session.someService.doSomething(x, y, z)

def anotherFunction(x, y, session=defaultSession):
    ret = 0
    for item in session.anotherService.getStuff(x):
        if session.someService.foo(item, y):
            session.anotherService.bar(item, x)
            ret += 1
    return ret