Go versus Brand X

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Nov 22 13:44:23 EST 2009

In article <7ms7ctF3k2a79U1 at mid.individual.net>,
Gregory Ewing  <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

>However, Go's designers seem to favour using the absolute minimum
>number of characters they can get away with.
>
>Although if they *really* wanted that, they would have dropped most of
>the semicolons and used indentation-based block structure instead of
>curly braces. I would have forgiven them several other sins if they'd
>done that. :-)

That's essentially my issue with Go based on the code samples I've seen:
no over-arching design sensibility at the syntax level.  It looks like an
aggolomeration of semi-random C-like syntax.  There's nothing that
shouts out, "This is a Go program," unlike Python, C, and even Perl.

The best way to get information on Usenet is not to ask a question, but
to post the wrong information.