python simply not scaleable enough for google?

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Mon Nov 23 05:35:31 EST 2009

sturlamolden wrote:
> On 20 Nov, 11:12, Robin Becker <ro... at reportlab.com> wrote:
>
>> Presumably that means they could potentially run in parallel on the 100000 cpu
>> machines of the future.
>>
>> I'm not so clear on whether the threadless tasklets will run on separate cpus.
>
> You can make a user-space scheduler and run a 100000 tasklets on a
> threadpool. But there is a GIL in stackless as well.
>
> Nobody wants 100000 OS threads, not with Python, not with Go, not with
> C.
>
> Also note that Windows has native support for "taskelets", regardless
> of language. They are called "fibers" (as opposed to "threads") and
> are created using the CreateFiber system call. I would not be
> surprised if Unix'es has this as well. We do not need Stackless for
> light-weight threads. We can just take Python's threading modules' C
> code and replace CreateThread with CreateFiber.

not really sure about all the parallelism that will actually be achievable, but
apparently the goroutines are multiplexed onto native threads by the run time.
Apparently each real thread is run until it blocks and then another goroutine is
allowed to make use of the thread. Apparently the gccgo runtime has 1 goroutine
per thread and is different to the fast compilers.
--
Robin Becker