Beginning Question about Python functions, parameters...

r rt8396 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 20:53:21 EST 2009

On Nov 24, 9:45 am, astral orange <457r0... at gmail.com> wrote:

> As for the "class Name():" example above? Even though I haven't seen
> exactly what purpose 'self' serves
> yet I can follow and understand what is going on very easily, that
> helps out tremendously.
> Very clearly written...Thank you!

Yes and this is the stumbling block that almost every tutorial writer
puts before the uninitiated! Simple, Simple examples are the key. The
subject matter of the example should never outshine the subject that
is being taught. Everybody understand what a first, middle, and last
name is! What really ticks me off is when some show-off tut writer
goes off using an internet protocol or mp3 tags example to explain
classes or functions... WHAT!-O

Pssst...tut writers remember this! While you may be an emacs "zen
master" playing key chords that would make most piano virtuosos
jealous, your tutorials are meant for inexperience users. Yes,
exposing your "huge intelligence" to the world may give you warm
fuzzies, but the "shock-and-awe-freak-show" will only be to the
detriment of the very ideas you are attempting to transform into these
minds.