Python 3.1 cx_Oracle 5.0.2 "ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found."

André andrethehunter at
Thu Nov 26 01:32:36 CET 2009

On Nov 19, 6:57 pm, Neil Hodgson <nyamatongwe+thun... at>
> André:
> > Apparently the error is caused by cx_Oracle not being able to find the
> > Oracle client DLLs (oci.dll and others). The client home path and the
> > client home path bin directory are in the PATH System Variable and
> > oci.dll is there.
>    Open the cx_Oracle extension with Dependency Walker
> ( to get a better idea about what the
> problem is in more detail.
>    Neil

Thanks Neil. I used Dependency Walker and discovered cx_Oracle was
looking for python30.dll. I seems to be a known issue with Python 3.1 I'm now used Python 2.6.4 and the
corresponding cx_Oracle version with no problems.

Thanks for the help