string payload expected: <type 'list'> error

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at
Thu Nov 26 22:39:07 CET 2009

Ramdas wrote:
> Dear all,
> I believe this is an error which was fixed in Python 2.3 itself. But I
> am running Python 2,5.2 and error keeps on cropping up.
> Here is my code to construct emails . It works perfectly when I dont
> have any attachments. Please find my code at
> However when I try constructing with attachments it crashes with this
> error string payload expected: <type 'list'> error.

Except if the traceback is due to a recursive function that doesn't
terminate, please always post the FULL traceback. Don't summarize the
error message.

> Going through the trace error I discover that as I call the function
> msg.as_string, the function . _handle_text(self, msg) expects a string
> object but I am generating list object. Can someone advise what I need
> to code to parse series of attachments into an email.
> Help appreciated

I smell this part of the code as particularly fishy:

msg1 = MIMEBase(maintype, subtype)

why are you wrapping a MIMEText inside a MIMEBase?