High-performance Python websites

Luis M. González luismgz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 22:12:42 EST 2009

On Nov 25, 4:24 pm, Nick Mellor <nick.mellor.gro... at pobox.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm contemplating setting up a Python-powered website for the tourist
> industry, which will involve a web service, a good deal of XML
> processing, and a Django-powered front-end. If the project works, it
> could get a lot of traffic. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm looking
> to find out more about how existing high-volume Python sites have
> managed their workload. Can anyone give me examples of high-volume
> Python-powered websites, if possible with some idea of their
> architecture?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Nick

You should now that there's a Google service called Google App Engine
that lets you host yur website in google's own infraestructure (this
is known nowadays as "cloud computing").
It's free to start (as long as you don't exceed the minimum quotas of
space and traffic, which are quite generous).
The good thing is that you don't have to think about scallig issues or
about your overall site's arquitecture or hardware. It's te whole
google infraestructure at your disposal, which can scale from one user
to tens of thousands without having to change anyting from your part.
Simply code correctly your site in python or java, using Django or any
other wsgi compliant framework, and you are set to go.

Check it out: http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/whatisgoogleappengine.html

Luis