Access to file in Windows Xp

FelixCatus framin2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 10:35:11 EST 2009

On 27 Nov, 12:37, Jon Clements <jon... at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 11:26 am, FelixCatus <fram... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Good morning to all,
> > I have written a simple python script that extracts data from a lot
> > (800Mb) of text files.
> > Now... In Linux the extraction runs in more or less 1s in Windows Xp
> > it takes 325 - 326 s.
>
> I find that really hard to believe; I don't think I'd even be
> convinced 1s is correct if all the files were mounted under a ramfs,
> with blazingly fast RAM and huge amounts of multi-core CPUs running in
> parallel.

I was not clear in my message, I don't have to open all files,
but just a smaller amount of them.

> I'd guess your code has a subtle flaw that:
> 1) under Linux causes it to not do some work
> 2) under XP causes it to do too much work
>
> Can you confirm you get the same results, and maybe post some code?
>
> Jon.

Just now I have found the issues.
First of all in the win xp system I have discovered that there is the
same processor of the linux station but much more less ram
and so the system uses intensive swapping.
With my personal computer wich has a smaller amount of ram and a not
so good processor (not the one on the mounting station)
it took more or less the same time of the mounting station in the
first try but I have discovered that the problem was the AVG
Anti-virus that makes some analysis each time you open a file.
Stopping the antivirus the execution time is reduced down to 56s.
On monday I can try to disable the antivirus also on the mounting
station and watch how many time it spends
to process the files.
In Linux I don't have the antivirus nor a lot of processes that runs
concurrently as it happens in windows.
So... Sorry for the inconvenience, this is not a real python issue but
just a computer problem.
Thanks for your support :-)