Feature request: String-inferred names

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 07:10:50 EST 2009

On 11/28/2009 10:38 PM, The Music Guy wrote:
>> If you use it a lot, it is likely 1) you have abused class syntax for
>> what should have been a dict or 2) what you need is to override
>> __getattr__/__getattribute__ and __setattr__
>
> Oh boy...here we go. :|
> <sniprant>

ok, then what's your use case, AFAICT in the discussion here and
previous ones, nobody has yet described a realistic and compelling
situation where setattr/getattr is the best solution. That's why the
discussion tended to end with "not used frequently enough"; simply
because nobody can turn up with a use case to justify a new syntax,
especially since all the proposed syntax are ugly (the most acceptable
one, for me, is obj.[foo], still ugly but not as ugly as the others).