PySerial and termios

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon Nov 30 12:41:12 EST 2009

On 2009-11-30, a b <putumutukas at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a pain in the a** problem with pyserial- it works 90%
> of time but on the 10% of time it thorows and termios.error
> exception with the value (5, 'Input/output error') and i
> cannot get rid of it :(

Sounds like faulty converter or a bug in the device driver to
me.

> The system works as follows:
> A device sends out rs485 data -> rs485 to rs232 converter converts it -
>> an rs232->usb cable attatched to a computer reads the data. Until
> now it hasn't bothered me too much since it hasn't been a lot
> of data (every time i get this exception i unload the pl2303
> module from kernel, then reload it, open the com port

Does that get rid of the error?  If so, then it's definitely a
problem with the converter or device-driver.

> and hope it won't happen soon). But now the amount of data is
> getting bigger and the exceptions in the log are quite
> bothering already so if anyone has a good idea what could
> affect it i'd be very glad... oh and the settings for the port
> opening are: self.ser = serial.Serial(self.port,
> self.baudrate, rtscts=0, xonxoff=0, timeout=0)

Unless you want to try to troubleshoot the device driver and
USB traffic, the only suggestion I have is to try different
converters and/or different versions of the driver.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! If Robert Di Niro
                                  at               assassinates Walter Slezak,