Questions about list-creation

inhahe inhahe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 13:31:29 EST 2009

i should also mention that

a=[i for i in xrange(10)]

and

b=list(j for j in xrange(10))

isn't really just a difference of using [] vs. list()
the first case is a list comprehension, the second case is a generator
comprehension which is then converted to a list
(the bug only applies to list comprehensions, not generator comprehensions)

i.e. notice that you can do this
''.join(x for x in ['a','b','c'])
no list or [] involved - it's just a generator comprehension being
passed to a function.