Object Not Callable, float?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Nov 30 16:47:49 EST 2009

W. eWatson wrote:

> I think I understand it, but how does one prevent it from happening, or
> know it's the cause? That msg I got?

Yes. The message 'x is not callable', where x is a name of something you
expect to be callable (such as the builtin functions and classes),
signals that x has been rebound to a non-callable object.

On the other hand, if x is something you know not to be callable, there
there is either a typo -- yxz(3) instead of yzx[3] -- or a bug such as
expr(arg) where you expect expr to evaluate to a function but it does
not.  Say yzx[3]('abc') where you think yxz is a list of functions, or
yzx(3)('abc') where you expect yzx to return a function.

tjr