Pyserial non-standard baud rate

oyinbo55 oyinbo55 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 11:21:43 EDT 2009

Hello all: this is my first post. I hope I'm doing it right.
I have a digital multimeter that sends data through an RS232 interface
at 19230 baud. I would like to record and graph the output in Python.
Pyserial does not want me to set the baudrate at a non-standard value:

>>>ser=serial.Serial('/dev/ttyUSB0' ,baudrate = 19230, bytesize = 7, parity = 'N', stopbits = 1)
ValueError : Invalid baud rate : 19230

Using the standard 19200 baud results in gobbledegook from the
multimeter.

How can I connect to this device?

I am using Python 2.5.1 running on Ubuntu 4.2.3 using IDLE 1.2.2

Thanks