unicode issue

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe+thunder at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 18:40:40 EDT 2009

Dave Angel:

> I know that the clipboard has type tags, but I haven't looked at them in
> so long that I forget what they look like.  For text, is it just ASCII
> and Unicode?  Or are there other possible encodings that the source and
> sink negotiate?

   The normal thing seen is that the clipboard differentiates between
Unicode text and locale-dependent 8 bit text. Depending on platform
Unicode text may be in UTF-8 (Linux) or UTF-16 (Windows). The encoding
of 8-bit text strings is not well defined and is normally assumed to be
compatible with whatever is currently in the document or the current
user interface encoding.

   Neil