Haskell's new logo, and the idiocy of tech geekers

Xah Lee xahlee at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 01:33:22 CEST 2009

Haskell has a new logo. A fantastic one. Beautiful. For creator,
context, detail, see bottom of:

• A Lambda Logo Tour

this is posted here because it relates to various computer software/
language's logo, a subject discussed by me several times in the past
years in comp.lang.lisp, comp.lang.scheme, comp.lang.python, as well
discussed now and then in these communities often without my

for my criticism or comment on logos, typical response by these people
are showcases of complete ignorance of social function of logos, and a
complete iliteracy in visual design (that any art student learns in
first year), usually coupled with a teen-age militant attitude.
(usually, these tech geeker's mentality is like: “you are a fucking
idiot... we don't need a logo. Logos are for kids and blood-sucking

Some of these tech geekers, are motherfucking aggresive, so that they
would ban me, or call me as a troll, or call upon whatever rules to
oust me (such as “off topicality”) , for any criticism on them. (if
requested, i'll take some time to cite the exact url for numerous of
these threads that happened in the past 5 years. My frustration in
discussion logos happened in python, lojban, lisp communities. Note:
not all people in these communities are idiotic about logos.
Typically, it's just few of priest fuckheads (e.g. a newsgroup
regular, or somewhat significant contributor of the particular
community). This particularly happened in several threads in the
lojban community where i criticized its logo during mid 2000s. (have a
look at lojban's motherfucking idiotic logo here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lojban

• The Purpose of Logos and Principles of Logo Design

• Lisp Needs A Logo

computer language and software logo gallery:

• The Unix Pestilence

• A Lambda Logo Tour

• LISP Logo

• Qi Language Logo