creating class objects inside methods

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Oct 4 17:29:01 EDT 2009

horos11 wrote:

> Anyways, maybe I got off to a bad start,

Blaming programming errors on non-existent bugs in the interpreter is
not a way to endear yourself.

And perhaps Python truly is not your style.

> Maybe PyChecker or PyLint will help, I don't know.

I do not use them, but others swear by them.

> ps - an aside, but what was the rationale behind only displaying one
> error at a time on trying to run a script? I typically like to run a
> compilation phase inside my editor (vim), get a list of errors, and
> then go to each one and fix them.

It would complicate the compiler. It is consistent with the rest of
Python's error reporting system (one runtime error only also). Error
reports after the first may be bogus. Python aware editors, like the one
with IDLE, put the cursor at the reported location of a syntax error.
And they only have one cursor ;-).

> And how do you just check a script's syntax without running it
> anyways?

The checker programs parse the code, so I would expect they report
syntex errors.

Or: put $, a syntax error, on a line at the bottom of your script to
abort execution. If the interpreter stops there, everything before is
syntacally OK. If using a Python-aware editor, you will pop back into
the edit window at the bottom of the file.

But of course, not running means not running the test code, so the
program is not necessarily OK at all.

Terry Jan Reedy