organizing your scripts, with plenty of re-use

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 14:29:38 EDT 2009

On 2009-10-05 12:42 PM, Buck wrote:

>> With the package layout, you would just do:
>>
>>     from parrot.sleeping import sleeping_in_a_bed
>>     from parrot.feeding.eating import eat_cracker
>>
>> This is really much more straightforward than you are making it out to be.
>>

> As in the OP, I need things to "Just Work" without installation
> requirements.
> The reason for this is that I'm in a large corporate environment
> servicing many groups with their own custom environments.

The more ad hoc hacks you use rather than the standard approaches, the harder it
is going to be for you to support those custom environments.

> Your solution requires work and knowledge on the user's part,

*All* solutions require work and knowledge. There is no free lunch. The
advantage of standard Python packages is that they are understood the best and
the most widely.

> but Stef
> seems to be actually solving the complexity problem. It may seem
> trivial to you, but it's beyond many people's grasp and brings the
> usability and reliability of the system way down.
>
> Like Stef, I was unable to grasp how to properly use python packages
> in my environment even after reading the documentation repeatedly over
> the course of several months.

I do believe that you and Stef are exceptions. The vast majority of Python users
seem to be able to grasp packages well enough.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco