best vi / emacs python features

Nobody nobody at nowhere.com
Thu Oct 8 00:52:35 EDT 2009

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 17:32:16 -0700, Carl Banks wrote:

>> > emacs has the same efficiency on a terminal. or maybe I don't
>> > understand your sentence.
>>
>> Perhaps this is a reference to the alt/meta/control/buckey/super
>> key-chords that emacs is infamous for using
>
> It's Esc-Meta-Alt-Ctrl-Shift

Emacs doesn't use Alt, Super or Hyper for any pre-defined bindings,
although you can use them for your own bindings. It does use Meta for
pre-defined bindings, and understands Esc,<key> as equivalent to Meta-<key>.

The most common terminal-related problems are:

1. Your terminal is configured to treat Meta as Alt (i.e. Meta-<key> sends
<keycode>+128 rather than Esc,<key>.

2. $TERM doesn't accurately reflect your terminal; e.g. $TERM is set to
vt100 when the terminal has cursor keys, ANSI colour, or the terminfo
entry for $TERM says that Delete sends ESC,[,3,~ when it actually sends
DEL (similarly for C-h/DEL for Backspace).

3. Not being able to distinguish between BS, CR, LF from C-h, C-m, C-j,
etc. Most bindings which use these keys work with all interpretations
(e.g. C-x C-m <key> and C-x return <key> are bound to the same functions
for all values of <key>). The main exception is that C-h maps to BS on a
terminal, so you need to use M-? (or Esc,?) or F1 for the help commands.