organizing your scripts, with plenty of re-use

Buck workitharder at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 20:07:20 EDT 2009

On Oct 5, 8:12 pm, Steven D'Aprano
<ste... at REMOVE.THIS.cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> The Original Poster is confusing installation difficulties with code
> organization -- his problem is that users have special requirements for
> installation, and he's trying to work around those requirements by
> organizing his code differently.

I believe you have it backwards here. My installation requirements (no
installation at all) are met with a flat organization, but as soon as
I try to improve that organization, I can't meet the installation
requirements.

> As far as I can see, whether or not he uses a package, he will still have
> the same problem with installation, namely, that his users aren't
> developers, plus for non-technical reasons he can't provide an installer
> and has to have users check code out of CVS.

That's probably true... I was hoping it wasn't.

> a simple setup script that
> modifies the user's .tcshrc to include the appropriate PYTHONPATH will
> solve his other problem.

I haven't seen a program that needs separate installation procedure
for each user. Maybe mail clients?

But I have seen plenty of programs that can be installed with a simple
copy. Maybe that's just not true for Python projects except with the
simplest of organizations