An assessment of Tkinter and IDLE

TerryP bigboss1964 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 05:04:10 EDT 2009

On Oct 12, 7:29 am, r <rt8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Obviously you have never used packages that are meant for global
> importing or you would know how such systems are designed.  OpenGL is
> a good example. OpenGL has over 3600 functions and constants all of
> which start with "gl" and GL respectivly. However the Tkinter package
> is not a good candidate for this in real use cases. Not only do you
> have all the widget classes and functions you have the constants
> imported too. ~180 names are imported this way, far too many when not
> protected by a naming convention! However learning to use Tkinter for
> the beginner is much eaiser when using global imports and i think that
> is OK. But very shortly after it is a good idea to get in the habit of
> quialifing names with tk.thisorthat().

I suppose you are right about that one, the largest things I've ever
had to imported tops out around ~600 names; although only used in
interactive mode, not finished product.

One thing you should also learn about me, is I do not deal in
absolutes. If you don't understand the meanings associated with that,
then try importing yourbrain.reflection into a private namespace.

On Oct 12, 7:29 am, r <rt8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sarcasm anyone?

If you can't stand sarcasm, you are living on the wrong planet.

On Oct 12, 7:29 am, r <rt8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes IDLE is not meant for writing million line scripts
> but who would want to anyway?

I would assume that is obvious 8=), however any editing interface may
be used for writing million line anythings -- just look at ed <http://
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_(text_editor)>.

On Oct 12, 7:29 am, r <rt8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> You may find the IDLE and
> Tkinter useless but many people find both to be indispensable
> (especially noobs). I think this is a case of champagne taste's on a
> whiskey budget for you friend!

You are both right and wrong: I find IDLE useless because I edit code
written in more then one (programming) language, thus any editor that
is not (more) language agnostic is useless to me, and probably every
other programmer that refuses to waste time learning an IDE per
language (and so on).

Tkinter however is not, because it is an interface to Tk ;). Ok, if
you have a broken display , then it is probably useless, guess you are
right on that one too.

I said I had never used Tk, not that it was useless. Depending on your
style of parsing English, one could also call me a liar (or a louse),
as I have used programs built on Tk but have never written programs
with Tk. I'll leave individual readers to determine that result.

On Oct 12, 7:29 am, r <rt8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > """NO TEXT EDITOR SHOULD EVER COPY AN EMPTY STRING TO THE
> > > CLIPBOARD!!"""
>
> > No, that is probably wrong.
>
> No it's exactly right and  a one-liner to fix. And btw: pass the
> reefer because it ain't just whiskey clouding your mind fella!

Adding data to the clipboard belongs in the program, the decision of
*what* to place in the clipboard (generally) belongs with the user and
not to their program. Mistakenly overwriting the contents of a buffer
that you meant to retain for a longer period of time, is not the
buffers problem. Get it?

As I do not believe in absolutes, I therefore believe that there are
times where my statement is False, in this case however I believe it
is True. If you do not agree, then we have a _philosophical_
difference of opinion, and should agree to disagree.

Also the whiskey thing was an obscured reference to a song, not a
reference to my blood alcohol level. Which is probably much lower then
whoever created Tkinter from the looks of both the package and your
comments.

On Oct 12, 7:29 am, r <rt8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do
> you reply to a thread about a subject you obviously don't care about?

Where I come from, one would say that you asked for feedback:

  On Aug 27, 9:22 pm, r <rt8... at gmail.com> wrote:
  > Final Thoughts
  > Well, that is all i can remember for now. If you've made it this
far
  > without losing your temper or your lunch well i am very
surprised ;).
  > Anyway, give me some feedback on these ideas so maybe i can get
  > motivated to submit some patches/enhancements.
  >
  > psst... help is welcome too ya'know :)

  –noun
  	1.	Electronics.
		    a.	the process of returning part of the output of a circuit,
system, or device to the input, either to oppose the input (negative
feedback) or to aid the input (positive feedback).
  	5.	Psychology. knowledge of the results of any behavior, considered
as influencing or modifying further performance. Compare biofeedback.

Now if you only wanted "Yes sir, that is a jolly good idea" types of
response, you should be more explicit about not wanting differing
opinions included.

On Oct 12, 7:29 am, r <rt8... at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you've never used Tkinter or IDLE (and never will) you have no
> reason to reply except for the trolling aspect?
>
> good day!

See the above.

Also note this: I never said I would _n_e_v_e_r_ use Tkinter.

Evaluating Tk interfaces under several languages, has been on my todo
list for a very long time. There are however other libraries with a
more pressing need to be evaluated before they are cycled into
projects.

--
  TerryP.
Just Another Programmer