What do I do now?

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Mon Oct 12 15:51:56 CEST 2009

On 11 Oct, 10:53 pm, fordhaivat at gmail.com wrote:
>I've been programming since about 3 years, and come to think of it
>written anything large. I know a few languages: c, python, perl, java.
>now, I just write little IRC bots that basically don't do anything.
>I have two questions:
>1) What should I start programming (project that takes 1-2 months, not
>short term)?

You should make sure you pick something you find interesting.  It can be
a challenge to work on a long term project that isn't appealing to you
personally in some way.
>2) Whtat are some good open source projects I can start coding for?

I think that Twisted is one of the better projects to work on if you're
looking to improve your skills.  We have a well-structured development
process which includes lots of feedback from other developers.  This
sort of feedback is one of the best ways I know of to improve ones
development skills.