pickle's backward compatibility

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Mon Oct 12 20:02:50 EDT 2009

En Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:17:52 -0300, Peng Yu <pengyu.ut at gmail.com> escribió:

> If I define my own class and use pickle to serialize the objects in
> this class, will the serialized object be successfully read in later
> version of python.

 From <http://docs.python.org/library/pickle.html>: "The pickle
serialization format is guaranteed to be backwards compatible across
Python releases."
What you save now should be readable by a later version. Your own class
must be able to process what you saved (regarding added/deleted/renamed
attributes, changes in meaning, renamed/moved classes...)

> What if I serialize (using pickle) an object of a class defined in
> python library, will it be successfully read in later version of
> python?

As JPC said: no guarantees.

--
Gabriel Genellina