Profiling python on OSX?

nitroamos nitroamos at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 21:51:16 EDT 2009

Hello --

I'm a python noob, so I'm trying to figure out how to get access to
the same data I'm used to from gprof, if possible. I was able to get
cPython/Stats to work just fine... but I'm disappointed with the lack
of detail in the output... Is there a better way?

For example, OSX has the nice Sampler program (which I guess is now a
part of Instruments)... is there a way I can use this to study my
python scripts without all the python interpreter "noise"? Or some
other OSX tool?

And beyond this, is there a way to get the gprof data from my C++
extensions without recompiling python? I'm a bit uncomfortable
recompiling python... I could do it, but seems like it's too much
effort for what I'm trying to accomplish at the moment...

thanks!

Amos.