python performance on Solaris

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at
Wed Oct 14 13:15:18 CEST 2009

inaf <cem.ezberci <at>> writes:
> Good point. I failed to compare the CPU power on these machines.. 32
> bit linux box I have is 2666 Mhz vs the Solaris zone is 1415 Mhz.. I
> guess that explains :) Thank you for the tip..

You have to compare not only CPU frequencies but the CPU models.
Recently Sun has been selling CPUs optimized for multi-threading (e.g. the
"UltraSPARC T2" or Niagara CPUs) which have, by design, very poor
single-threaded performance. If your Solaris zone uses such a CPU then a 6-8x
difference in single-threaded performance compared to a modern Intel or AMD CPU
is totally expected.