windows side-by-side configuration woes on windows HPC

Nick Touran nick_t1 at partofthething.com
Wed Oct 14 17:41:19 EDT 2009

I've made enough progress to get my setup working! I attempted to apply the
patch and recompile the packages that complained but got in too deep while
compiling matplotlib on windows (I don't have admin privileges and can't
install the prereqs) so I dug deeper.

I found this: http://blog.kalmbachnet.de/?postid=80 which suggests removing
the publicKeyToken attribute from the manifests to force local DLLs. This
would possibly give the same effect as not embedding the manifests in the
first place using the patch. So I went in, using VS2008, and removed this
attribute from the embedded manifests in python26.dll, python.exe, and the
manifest file in C:\python26. I also copied msvcm90.dll, msvcp90.dll, and
msvcr90.dll from the 9.0.21022.8 folder in c:\Windows\WinSxS into
c:\Python26 W.ith that, matplotlib started working, but pymssql still did
not.

I then renamed _mssql.pyd to _mssql.dll so that VS2008 could recognize the
manifest, removed the publicKeyToken attribute, and renamed it back to
_mssql.pyd, but it still complained. Finally, using depends.exe from the
internet, I noticed msvcr71.dll was required on my local machine, so I tried
copying it over to the remote machine, into the site-packages folder. Bam.
It worked. So while I don't really consider this a solution, it definitely
worked for what I needed. Any other 3rd party modules that complain in the
future in my weird xcopy-deployment will undergo manifest-stripping via
VS2008 and other dependency checking via depends.exe. Yay.

-nick