Colour sampling

Dylan Palmboom dpalmboom at evafoam.co.za
Thu Oct 15 02:54:35 EDT 2009

Does anyone know what python libraries are available to do the following:

1. I would like to take a photograph of an object with a colour. In this
case, it is a sheet of sponge.
2. Feed this image into a function in a python library and let the function
"automatically scan" this image's
    pixel colours, and return an average of all the pixels' colours in the
image.
3. I could then use the rgb values to set a colour swatch for the object's
colour.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. It would be appreciated.
In the meantime, I will search Google and see what I can find.

Thanks