Object Relational Mappers are evil (a meditation)

Tim Wintle tim.wintle at teamrubber.com
Fri Oct 16 05:23:45 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-16 at 01:01 +0200, Mick Krippendorf wrote:
> Maybe my English (and my memory) is just not so good. I'm german, and
> here "abnormal" and "anormal" are both negations of "normal", but with
> a slight difference in meaning. "anormal" means just "not normal",
> whereas the meaning of "abnormal" is more like "perverted". That's of
> course the better word for the case at hand.

>From my understanding, the prefix "ab-" comes from latin (away /away
from) - which can also be shortened to "a" in some usages. (e.g.
abnormal)

The prefix "an" - which is more commonly shortened to "a" comes from the
greek - meaning "without" (e.g. anaerobic )

I agree that "abnormal" would be the better term here - as it does /can
have normalisation information, just not in a standardised manner.