executing a function/method from a variable

Yves yves at zioup.com
Sat Oct 17 09:17:28 EDT 2009

Carsten Haese wrote:

>> Right now I use an eval, but I'm wondering if there isn't a better way:
>
> There's (almost) always a better way than using eval.

Yes I agree, every time I use eval, I feel like the language is missing
something, fair enough to shell type languages, but usually not the case in
python. That's why I asked,

> In this case, you
> should use getattr().

Right ! I always forget about get/set attr. Thanks !

> Here's your simplified example modified to use getattr:
Tried it, and it works if we remove the self from the name of course:

import sys

class dummy(object):
   def __init__(self, arg):
     self.todo = 'print' + arg;