More & More Fun w/ Pics & MySQL

Carsten Haese carsten.haese at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 11:33:38 EDT 2009

Victor Subervi wrote:
> Let me clarify. This prints out "all sorts of crap", which means an
> image string, the image as a string, to the screen:
>
> print 'Content-type: image/jpeg'
> print 'Content-Encoding: base64'
> print
> print pic().encode('base64')
> print '</body></html>'

This has no hope of working, since you're sending data that's not valid
base64 code and pretend that it's base64-encoded. A browser trying to
display this result will produce something anywhere between
unpredictable and garbage.

> The following once upon a time printed images, but now it doesn't. Why
> would that be? I would refresh the screen, and it would print. I'd
> change a line and it wouldn't. I'd change it back to what it was and it
> would no longer the image to the screen. Why is that? The same happens
> with or without the base64 stuff. Commenting out a line seemed to make a
> difference!

Why would turning a comment into a statement NOT make a difference?!?

> print 'Content-type: text/plain'
> #print 'Content-type: image/jpeg'
> print
> print pic()
> print '</body></html>'

This should produce plain text, not an image.

> The above prints out a broken image of correct dimensions.

What the heck is a "broken image of correct dimensions"? Are you looking
at the output of the script itself, or are you looking at an html page
that uses this script as src-attribute for an img-tag? In the latter
case, if you're also giving the img-tag width and height attributes, it
shouldn't be surprising that you're getting the correct dimensions, and
you're getting a broken image because your src is producing plain text
instead of an image.

> Of course I try and figure out how things work once they get working.
> Sometimes, however, there is __no__ logic to it __at__all__. Sorry.
> After years of struggling with python I've come to realize that even
> though I may not be a good programmer, it isn't me. It may not be python
> itself. It may be the crappy hardware the server farms use. It may be
> the way they tweak their python interpreter. But it isn't just me.

I suppose it's possible that there is something quirky about the way the
server has been set up, but so far, the more likely explanation is that
you don't really know what you're doing.

You can prove whether it's your server farm or you by running the same
code on a different server.

> It would be nice if I could get this code printing images to the screen
> as it was before I had to put out another unnecessary fire when code
> that previously uploaded the images in the first place inexplicably no
> longer worked. Then, lo and behold, when I came back to this code that I
> hadn't touched and was working fine earlier this week, it no longer
> works. Lovely. My "plug-and-play" program has devoured two weeks of my
> time and I'm still up the creek without a paddle. Sure would appreciate
> any help you can give.

Again, you have to help us help you. I have listed the three things you
need to post together, and you haven't done that. You're giving us bits
and pieces, but nothing that's sufficiently cohesive to do any
meaningful troubleshooting on.

--
Carsten Haese
http://informixdb.sourceforge.net