restriction on sum: intentional bug?

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Sun Oct 18 19:07:45 EDT 2009

Dave Angel wrote:
> Dieter Maurer wrote:
>
>> Christian Heimes <lists at cheimes.de> writes on Fri, 16 Oct 2009
>> 17:58:29 +0200:

>>> It's not a bug. sum() doesn't work on strings deliberately. ''.join()
>>> *is* the right and good way to concatenate strings.
>>>

>> Apparently, "sum" special cases 'str' in order to teach people to use
>> "join".
>> It would have been as much work and much more friendly, to just use
>> "join"
>> internally to implement "sum" when this is possible.
>>
>> Dieter
>>

> Earlier, I would have agreed with you.  I assumed that this could be
> done invisibly, with the only difference being performance.  But you
> can't know whether join will do the trick without error till you know
> that all the items are strings or Unicode strings.  And you can't check
> that without going through the entire iterator.  At that point it's too
> late to change your mind, as you can't back up an iterator.  So the user
> who supplies a list with mixed strings and other stuff will get an
> unexpected error, one that join generates.
>
> To put it simply, I'd say that sum() should not dispatch to join()
> unless it could be sure that no errors might result.
>
> DaveA

How is this different than passing a list to sum with other incompatible
types?

Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Dec 23 2008, 15:10:54) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
(Intel)] on win32
 >>> class Dummy(object):
...     pass
 >>> test1 = [1, 2, 3.4, Dummy()]
 >>> sum(test1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'float' and 'Dummy'
 >>> test2 = ['a', 'string', 'and', 'a', Dummy()]
 >>> ''.join(test2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
TypeError: sequence item 4: expected string, Dummy found

Looks like a TypeError either way, only the verbage changes.

~Ethan~