strange behaviour of colon within string

khany sharif.khan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 15:56:35 CEST 2009


On 19 Oct, 14:44, StarWing <weasley... at sina.com> wrote:
> On Oct 19, 9:15 pm, khany <sharif.k... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
>
>
> > On 19 Oct, 13:44, khany <sharif.k... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > hello all,
>
> > > i am relatively new to python and i am trying to convert a php app i
> > > have over to it using googleapps.
>
> > > anyway here is the problem. i poll ebay API which has in its XML "<?
> > > xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><findItemsAdvancedRequest
> > > xmlns="http://www.ebay.com/marketplace/search/v1/services">  .... "
>
> > > however it fails to create the string UNLESS i remove the colon (:) in
> > > the http section. i tried to substitute it with chr(58) but it errors
> > > the same without showing why. does anyone know what i am doing wrong?
> > > is this peculiar to googleapps?
>
> > > thanks
>
> > OK
>
> > first thanks for replying so soon (most other groups out there take
> > days)
>
> > here is the code
>
> > ========
> >   xml = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> \
> >     <findItemsAdvancedRequest xmlns="http://www.ebay.com/marketplace/
> > search/v1/services"> \
> >     <categoryId>%(category)i</categoryId> \
> >     <keywords>%(searchtext)s</keywords> \
> >     <paginationInput> \
> >       <pageNumber>%(page)i</pageNumber> \
> >       <entriesPerPage>10</entriesPerPage> \
> >     </paginationInput> \
> >     </findItemsAdvancedRequest>' % \
> >     {'category':9834, 'searchtext':"bmw", 'page':1}
> >   print xml
> > ========
>
> > if i run this, the page is blank (even the source) with no errors or
> > anything. if i remove the colon from the string (after the http) it
> > prints the string on the browser fine.
>
> > HTH
>
> you can use a tri-quote string or make sure all lines end with \:
> xml1 = """<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
>     <findItemsAdvancedRequest xmlns="http://www.ebay.com/marketplace/\
> search/v1/services">
>     <categoryId>%(category)i</categoryId>
>     <keywords>%(searchtext)s</keywords>
>     <paginationInput>
>       <pageNumber>%(page)i</pageNumber>
>       <entriesPerPage>10</entriesPerPage>
>     </paginationInput>
>     </findItemsAdvancedRequest>""" % \
>     {'category':9834, 'searchtext':"bmw", 'page':1}
>
> xml2 = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>\n\
>     <findItemsAdvancedRequest xmlns="http://www.ebay.com/marketplace/\
> search/v1/services">\n\
>     <categoryId>%(category)i</categoryId>\n\
>     <keywords>%(searchtext)s</keywords>\n\
>     <paginationInput>\n\
>       <pageNumber>%(page)i</pageNumber>\n\
>       <entriesPerPage>10</entriesPerPage>\n\
>     </paginationInput>\n\
>     </findItemsAdvancedRequest>' % \
>     {'category':9834, 'searchtext':"bmw", 'page':1}
>
> print xml1
> print xml2

StarWing,

The triple String works a treat thanks. Not sure what the colon issue
was though. Now im getting Unsupported verb errors but thats an ebay
API issue i can work with.

Thanks to all for your help

khany



More information about the Python-list mailing list