Checking a Number for Palindromic Behavior

rurpy at yahoo.com rurpy at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 19 17:24:14 EDT 2009

On Oct 18, 4:56 pm, Gary Herron <gher... at digipen.edu> wrote:
> Benjamin Middaugh wrote:
> > Thanks to everyone who helped with my query on reversing integers. I
> > have one more simple problem I'm having trouble solving. I want to
> > check a number for palindromic behavior (reading the same backwards
> > and forwards). So if I have an integer 1457 it can tell me this is not
> > the same from both ends but 1551 is. I think the simplest way would be
> > to work inwards from both ends checking digits for equality, but I
> > don't know enough (yet) to do this.
>
> > All help is much appreciated.
>
> > Benjamin
>
> This problem (and the OP's previous problem) are probably homework
> problems.   If so, it was unethical for the student to ask for a
> solution here, and it was careless of several responders to provide a
> solution.   Let's not make the same mistake this time.

You think that was homework?  Perhaps so but for the record
here are some posts by some other people who suspected
homework in the very recent past...

2009-10-03
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/a032adcdcaff7d9/0e74d426d30170e9?lnk=gst&q=homework#0e74d426d30170e9
skorpio11 at gmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Chris, Not homework but self learning.

2009-10-01
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/f70457535a7c252e/e785984ffc1dc5c3?lnk=gst&q=homework#e785984ffc1dc5c3
kj wrote:
> Earlier some other clown alleged that that my original post
> was homework???  WTF?

2009-09-27
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_frm/thread/a032adcdcaff7d9/0e74d426d30170e9?lnk=gst&q=homework#0e74d426d30170e9
John Nagle wrote