Checking a Number for Palindromic Behavior

Tue Oct 20 01:35:18 EDT 2009

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:29:52 -0700, Ethan Furman wrote:

> Your arguments are most persuasive.  Consider me convinced.
>
> Even if the worst-case scenario is true (homework problem, ack!), either
> the poster will learn from the answer in which case all is well, or the
> poster will not, in which case the final exam will show it.

As far as I'm concerned, asking for help on homework without being honest
up-front about it and making an effort first, is cheating by breaking the
social contract. Anyone who rewards cheaters by giving them the answer
they want is part of the problem. Whether cheaters prosper in the long
run or not, they make life more difficult for the rest of us, and should
be discouraged.

Don't support cheaters and cheating. Don't buy from spammers, don't
reward people for bad behaviour, and don't do homework for students
(hints to help them learn is one thing) unless you know that their school
allows collaboration. To do otherwise is part of the problem.

--
Steven