File not closed on exception

Mel mwilson at
Tue Oct 20 15:41:38 CEST 2009

arve.knudsen at wrote:

> I agree, but like I said, I've been told that this (implicit closing
> of files) is the correct style by more merited Python developers, so
> that made me think I was probably wrong ..

It would be nice.  The trouble is that CPython is not the only Python.
Jython, for example, uses the Java Runtime Environment for its virtual
machine.  JRE doesn't have reference-counts, so Jython can't close files
immediately after the last reference ends.  It seems guaranteed object
cleanup would lock Python out of too many possible platforms.