Regex

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Tue Oct 20 20:32:11 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Someone Something <fordhaivat at gmail.com> wrote:
> how can I implement this in python?

Please don't top-post.

If you only need to check whether a string matches a pattern or not:

if fnmatch.fnmatch(string_to_check, search_query_with_wildcards):
    do_whatever()

For more complicated stuff, there's fnmatch.translate(), which can
generate the equivalent regular expression.
http://docs.python.org/library/fnmatch.html#fnmatch.translate

Cheers,
Chris
--