Object Relational Mappers are evil (a meditation)

Aaron Watters aaron.watters at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 16:28:40 EDT 2009

On Oct 16, 10:35 am, mario ruggier <mario.rugg... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 5, 4:25 pm, Aaron Watters <aaron.watt... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Occasionally I fantasize about making a non-trivial change
> > to one of these programs, but I strongly resist going further
> > than that because the ORM meatgrinder makes it somewhere
> > between extremely unpleasant and impossible to make any
> > non-trivial changes to a non-trivial program, especially after
> > it has been populated with data.
>
> Object-relational mappers are like putting lipstick on a pig:http://gizmoweblog.blogspot.com/2006/10/putting-lipstick-on-pig.html
>
> m ;-)

Cute, but wrong.  Using ORMs is better than using "Object databases".

In my case I use Python to un**** data created by java/hibernate.
If I was using a java based "object database" I would be simply stuck.
At least if you use an ORM you have a way to access the information
without writing a program in the programming language that the
ORM was defined in.  Anyway, thanks for all the great comments on
this thread from all you Sarcopterygii and Haplorrhini out there.

  -- Aaron Watters
     http://aaron.oirt.rutgers.edu/myapp/GenBankTree/index

===

SQL is the worst possible data interface language
except for all the others.  -- Churchill (paraphrased)