Cpython optimization

Qrees qreesp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 17:28:45 EDT 2009

> If you don't know yet, you could find interesting this project:
>
>    http://code.google.com/p/unladen-swallow/

I know about this project. I'll have a look at it, but I'd like to
create something of my own.

> They too are trying to improve CPython speed.
>
> If you are thinking of language variations  that trade some flexiblity
> for speed, you might be interested in Cython:
>
> http://www.cython.org/

I was thinking about sacrificing some flexibility of Python and thank
you for pointing me to this project. I didn't about it.

> As a simple and plain python user, I would value a version of cython that
> can be used to built faster executables out of almost-python code (that
> is python code with a few additional restructions). Maybe using typing
> inference to avoid declaring explicitely the variable types.
>
> Another interesting place to go is pypy :http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/
> pypy/doc/ . They too have developed a restriced version of python
> (RPython, I think) which should be faster than CPython. They don't work
> with CPython code base, but could give you ideas on what are the
> bottlenecks of python as a language.
>
> Ciao
> -----
> FB

I'd like to hear a word from developers, what they think about
this :).

BTW: My seminar deals with object oriented programming.