Frameworks

Bruno Desthuilliers bruno.42.desthuilliers at websiteburo.invalid
Thu Oct 22 04:56:33 EDT 2009

Emmanuel Surleau a écrit :
>>> You lose most of what makes it worth using Django,
>> Mmmm... I beg to disagree. You still have the core framework (request /
>> response handling, sessions etc), the templating system, the form API
>> etc. As far as I'm concerned, it's quite enough to "make it worth".
>
> The form API is pretty good, but I don't think the rest makes it stand out
> that much, compared to other frameworks.

I don't care if it "stand out that much" - it works fine and is well
documented. Given that for most web apps, Django's ORM is a good enough
tool, I don't see the point in using 3 or more "different" frameworks
that basically do the same things in slightly different ways, each with
it's own strong and weak points.

> To me, the notion of reusable apps
> and the application ecosystem it allows is Django's most compelling feature.

+1.

> You are, of course, welcome to disagree.

I'm not saying that Django is "better" than Pylons or web.py or (insert
yur favorite framework here) - and to be true, I think Pylons is
globally smarter than Django -, I'm saying that it do the job, and do it
well enough to be worth using. Sorry for being so pragmatic.

>>> Having to implement a mini-parser for
>>> each single tag
>> Most of the "mini-parser" stuff is so very easily factored out I'm
>> afraid I won't buy your argument.
>
> You'll at least agree that in terms of line of codes necessary to implement a
> custom tag, it's very far from optimal, I hope?

I also agree that in terms of LOCs necessary to implement a log file
parser, Python is also very far from optimal, at least compared to Perl !-)

How many Django custom tags did you write, exactly ? And of which level
of complexity ? Once again, I'm not pretending Django is the best thing
ever, but most of your remarks remind me of what I once could have say -
that is, before having enough experience writing and maintaining Django
apps. One of the greatest features of Django - and possibly what finally
makes it so pythonic - is that it doesn't try to be *too* smart - just
smart enough.

My 2 cents.