a splitting headache

John Posner jjposner at optimum.net
Thu Oct 22 17:35:36 EDT 2009

[resend, with Subject line corrected and formatting crud deleted]

Mensanator wrote:
> That's interesting. If string.splitfields(delim) was equivalent to
> str.split(sep), it would have been useful to add the phrase
> "str.split(sep) is equivalent to the old string.splitfields(delim)
> which no longer exists." to the docs. That way, a search on
> "splitfields" would direct the user to str.split(sep) rather than
> simply throw a dialog box saying "No topics found". No one ever
> considers making life easy for the user.

I'm not sure what Python documentation you're consulting. I have Python
2.6.3rc1 on Windows XP. I launched the ...\doc\python263c1.chm help
file, and searched for "splitfields". Here's what I got:

 string.splitfields(/s/[, /sep/[, /maxsplit/]])
   This function behaves identically to split(). (In
   the past, split() was only used with one argument,
   while splitfields() was only used with two
   arguments.)

-John