How to write a daemon program to monitor symbolic links?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:25:53 EDT 2009

As far as I know, linux doesn't support a system level way to figure
out all the symbolic links point to a give file. I could do a system
wide search to look for any symbolic link that point to the file that
I am interested in. But this will be too slow when there are many
files in the systems.

I'm thinking of writing a daemon program which will build a database
on all the symbolic links that point to any files. Later on, whenever
I change or remove any file or symbolic link, I'll will notify the
daemon process the changes. By keeping this daemon process running, I
can quickly figure out what symbolic links are pointing to any give
file.

But I have never make a daemon program like this in python. Could
somebody point me what packages I need in order to make a daemon
process like this? Thank you!