multiprocessing deadlock

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Sat Oct 24 09:05:45 EDT 2009

On 24 Oct 2009, at 21:37, larudwer wrote:

> "Brian Quinlan" <brian at sweetapp.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:mailman.1895.1256264717.2807.python-list at python.org...
>>
>> Any ideas why this is happening?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Brian
>
> IMHO your code is buggy. You run in an typical race condition.
>
> consider following part in your code:
>
>> def _make_some_processes(q):
>>    processes = []
>>    for _ in range(10):
>>        p = multiprocessing.Process(target=_process_worker, args=(q,))
>>        p.start()
>>        processes.append(p)
>>    return processes
>

> p.start() may start an process right now, in 5 seconds or an week
> later,
> depending on how the scheduler of your OS works.

Agreed.

> Since all your processes are working on the same queue it is -- very
> --
> likely that the first process got started, processed all the input and
> finished, while all the others haven't even got started.

Agreed.

> Though your first
> process exits, and your main process also exits, because the queue
> is empty
> now ;).

The main process shouldn't (and doesn't exit) - the _do function exits
(with some processes possibly still running) and the next iteration in

for i in range(100):
     _do(i)

is evaluated.

>>    while not q.empty():
>>        pass
>
> If you where using p.join() your main process wourd terminate when
> the last
> process terminates !
> That's an different exit condition!

When you say "your main process would terminate", you mean that the
_do function would exit, right? Because process.join() has nothing to
do with terminating the calling process - it just blocks until process
terminates.

> When the main process terminates all the garbage collection fun
> happens. I
> hope you don't wonder that your Queue and the underlaying pipe got
> closed
> and collected!

I expected the queue and underlying queue and pipe to get collected.

> Well now that all the work has been done, your OS may remember that
> someone
> sometimes in the past told him to start an process.

Sure, that could happen at this stage. Are you saying that it is the
user of the multiprocessing module's responsibility to ensure that the
queue is not collected in the parent process until all the child
processes using it have exited? Actually, causing the queues to never
be collected fixes the deadlock:

+ p = []
def _do(i):
     print('Run:', i)
     q = multiprocessing.Queue()
+  p.append(q)
     print('Created queue')
     for j in range(30):
         q.put(i*30+j)
     processes = _make_some_processes(q)
     print('Created processes')

     while not q.empty():
         pass
     print('Q is empty')

This behavior is counter-intuitive and, as far as I can tell, not
documented anywhere. So it feels like a bug.

Cheers,
Brian