OT Virtual Server Host

Ryan Lynch ryan.b.lynch at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 11:10:18 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:56, Victor Subervi <victorsubervi at gmail.com> wrote:
> YES, that is what I want! How do I google this service? Or just flat-out
> recommend one for me (or both). Googling "high-end virtual dedicated
> servers" gave me *one* company...in England. I'd prefer the states (or
> Caribbean, where I reside).
> Thanks,
>
> On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 10:55 PM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Victor Subervi <victorsubervi at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi;
>> > Completely OT, but my back's up against the wall. I'm convinced that the
>> > reason my codes keep breaking--and even stable installations of s/w from
>> > SourceForge such as SimpleMail--on the hosts I've been using is because
>> > their hardware should have conservatively been trashed 5 years ago. It's
>> > simply impossible to code around garbage. My ultimate solution will be
>> > colo two of my own servers (for redundancy), but for a few months while
>> > get built back up, I still need to find some place where I can get my
>> > client's sites up and running or I'll never be able to earn a paycheck.
>> > I'm
>> > more than happy to pay $100/mo or even more. I don't want one of those
>> > $99/mo dedicated server plans, either, because their hardware is trash
>> > too.
>> > I've been in this game long enough to figure these guys out. What I need
>> > is
>> > a virtual server with some small company that has hardware that was
>> > purchased in this century not the last one. But I don't know where to
>> > find
>> > the same. Google just brings up all the GoDaddys and eNoms of the world.
>> > Any
>> > ideas?
>> > TIA,
>> > Victor
>>
>> I've had good luck with high-end virtual dedicated servers. They
>> can be pricey, but since a single machine going down tends to
>> earn them a lot of ire, IME they work a bit harder to keep
>> everything running.

WebHostingTalk is a pretty rich source of info for hosting services, generally:

 * http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

They have a forum dedicated to discussions of VPS hosting services,
and another forum where VPS hosting vendors can post ads, links,
coupons, etc. It's a good place to start shopping, and the reviews
should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect from different
providers.

FWIW, here's a few words of advice, based on my early VPS experiences:

 - Avoid OpenVZ platforms, if you can help it. No matter what the
vendor promises you, they are full of little "gotchas" and
limitations, and they will drive you nuts.
 - With managed or unmanaged VPS hosting, you get what you pay for, or
worse. If they charge you $10/month for a 512MB RAM VPS instance, you
can count on dangerously incompetent tech support and lots of
downtime.
 - Avoid VAServ, which also operates the FSCKVPS and CheapVPS brands
for unmanaged VPS instances.

But those are just what I learned from my personal horror stories,
take it with a grain of salt.

-Ryan