how to get os.system () call to cooperate on Windows

TerryP bigboss1964 at
Tue Oct 27 14:55:09 CET 2009

On Oct 26, 10:00 am, Anthra Norell <anthra.nor... at> wrote:
> The function "os.system
> ('copy file_name directory_name')" turns out doesn't do anything except
> flashing a DOS command window for half a second. So my question is: How
> can one copy files on the OS level?

Under a Windows system the built in command, copy, is a pile of crap
and xcopy is not much fun; you need to screw with it at the command
prompt to find the exact usage.

The formal way to copy files on the 'OS level' is by way of a system
call. I believe under Windows NT, this would be the CopyFile family;
using that through cctypes doesn't sound like fun.