[PyWin32] "Hello, world"?

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Wed Oct 28 06:17:51 EDT 2009

Gilles Ganault wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm reading O'Reily's "Python Programming on Win32", but couldn't find
> a simple example on how to create a window with just a label and
> pushbutton.

Well, you might mean this:

<code>
import win32api

win32api.MessageBox (None, "Hello, World!", "Greetings")

</code>

but that obviously has limited possibilities for growth.
You can change the messages; you can play with combinations
of buttons; but that's about it.

Although I can provide a cut-down example, I think that these days
it would be quite rare to produce a raw-Windows GUI: you'd either
be using a .NET technology like the WPF or leveraging (as they
say in other parts of the world) an existing toolkit such as
Qt, wx or <insert your presentation toolkit of choice here>.

I suppose what I'm saying is that knowing the way in which
raw Windows GUI works is becoming increasingly irrelevant.
But I'm happy to produce something if you're still keen.

TJG