ANN: WHIFF += Mako & treeview & url rewrites

Paul Boddie paul at
Wed Oct 28 14:00:46 CET 2009

On 27 Okt, 18:26, Aaron Watters <aaron.watt... at> wrote:
> Alex sent me the traceback (thanks!) and after consulting
> the logs and the pages I figured out that the version of
> Firefox in question was not ignoring my javascript links like
> it should.  Instead FF was interpreting them as HTTP links to
> pages that didn't exist -- which is perfectly idiotic -- so
> WHIFF was complaining that it couldn't find the page (which
> is correct).

Were you using "javascript:" URLs in the links before? Maybe using the
onclick attribute is more appropriate for JavaScript-specific actions:

> Anyway, you shouldn't see this buglet any more -- if you
> don't have javascript you will get a nice polite message
> saying that the page doesn't work unless javascript is
> enabled.

I still don't see why you couldn't have a non-JavaScript version.
Think of all the people wanting to use Python to screen-scrape the
content! ;-)

P.S. Although people not running JavaScript on every page by default
are often criticised as being modern-day Luddites, and I too used to
have JavaScript running for everything, a few annoying experiences led
me to installing NoScript just to stop stupid CPU-wasting
advertisements. Useful sites employing JavaScript probably suffer from
the effects of such antics, unfortunately, which is one reason I
advocate supporting non-JavaScript browsers.