Feedback wanted on programming introduction (Python in Windows)

bartc bartc at
Thu Oct 29 23:16:22 CET 2009

"Alf P. Steinbach" <alfps at> wrote in message
news:hc8pn3$ddn$1 at
> [Cross-posted comp.programming and comp.lang.python]

> I may finally have found the perfect language for a practically oriented
> introductory book on programming, namely Python.
> C++ was way too complex for the novice, JScript and C# suffered from too
> fast-changing specifications and runtime environment, Java, well, nothing
> particularly wrong but it's sort of too large and unwieldy and
> inefficient.
> I don't know whether this will ever become an actual book. I hope so!
> But since I don't know much Python -- I'm *learning* Python as I write --
> I know that there's a significant chance of communicating misconceptions,
> non-idiomatic ways to do things, bad conventions, etc., in addition to of
> course plain errors of fact and understanding in general, to which I'm not
> yet immune...
> So I would would be very happy for feedback.

Have you ever done technical writing before? With positive feedback?

You use the highly commercial-looking activatestate website; what's wrong

You say elsewhere that you're not specifically teaching Python, but the text
is full of technical details specific to both Python and Windows, not much
actual programming!

Python has a lot of baggage which is OK if that's what's going to be used,
but otherwise is unnecessary confusion: where to put the program code (typed
in live or in a file, or some combination); whether to call the file .py or
.pyw; the difference between console and graphical programs and so on.