Web development with Python 3.1

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 17:13:58 EDT 2009

On 2009-10-30 15:55 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> It is clear and obvious. But it has the "template engine" duplicating
>>> a function that Python has built in. My goal is to learn reusable
>>> Python (reusable for non-web projects). My goal is not to find the
>>> quickest way to a website.
>>
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you did learn HTML, CSS and SQL, didn't
>> you ? How do any of these languages relates to Python ?-)
>
> HTML and CSS yes, but just enough SQL to fake it. None of those
> languages relate to Python, each language performs a different
> function. However, the template language looks completely redundant as
> it duplicates functionality of the language that I intend to learn.

Templating languages serve a different, highly specialized purpose. They may
have similar flow constructs, but the context and specializations matter a lot.
Use the right language for the job. Sometimes the job is a weird mix of concerns
and requires a weird mix of constructs to be convenient. If you're writing web
apps, you should learn a templating language. If you're primarily concerned with
learning Python and nothing else, you should find a different kind of project.

But if you insist, you may be interested in Breve:

   http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Breve/

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."