Why 'import module' will not import module.py but the directory module?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 20:02:57 EDT 2009

On 2009-10-31 18:51 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> If I have both the directory 'module' and the file 'module.py' in a
> directory in $PYTHONPATH, python will import 'module' rather than
> 'module.py'. I'm wondering what is the design rationale of setting
> higher priorities to directories. Is there a way to reverse the
> priority?

You mean that you have a package "module/"? With an __init__.py? Plain
directories that aren't packages shouldn't be imported by Python.

No, you can't reverse the priority between packages and modules. I'm not sure
why that would help you. The package would then be inaccessible if you did. If
it's inaccessible, then why have it at all?

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco